Tasty Tuesday! Sicilian Cauliflower Casserole
This cauliflower casserole is hearty enough to be the centerpiece of a vegetarian dinner (Meatless Monday, anyone?). For more protein, pop it in the oven a simple baked chicken breast and everything will finish cooking at the same time.
Sicilian Cauliflower Casserole
Serves: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped (about 1½ pounds)
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1 Tbsp. capers, chopped
- 10 kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
- ½ tsp. finely chopped lemon peel (lemon zest)
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley (for garnish; optional)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with spray. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cauliflower; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until cauliflower begins to soften.
- Add capers, olives, garlic, crushed red pepper (if desired), sage, and lemon peel; mix well.
- Place cauliflower mixture in baking dish. Top with bread crumbs, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Garnish with parsley if desired; serve immediately.
Receipt by Beachbody